Monday, June 11, 2018

Fairy Garden Plant Spotlight - Creeping Jenny

Creeping Jenny Draped into Pot for propagationGolden Creeping Jenny is a well recommended perennial plant for ground covers and pots!  It's low growing and trailing nature also makes it perfect for a fairy garden.  Please note that it can be considered invasive, so keeping it in check, or growing it in a container may be advisable.  It is hardy zones 3-9 and can be grown in full sun to shade.  In shadier environments it will be greener, and in sunnier environments it will be a lovely yellowish to chartreuse green.  You may also enjoy yellow flowers in the summer time.

I currently have Creeping Jenny in pots, and I'll be propagating it this summer into additional pots to add to my fairy garden area.  Propagating Creeping Jenny is easy and just couple of plants can provide you will more than you may need.  I am taking advantage of the creeping nature of it, and allowing the plants from existing pots to drape into smaller pots.  These long drapes will grow roots in the soil and once established I can cut them from their mother plant.
Tiny Roots growing from Creeping Jenny

 Creeping Jenny grows fastest in moist but not soggy soil, although it will grow in dryer environments, just less aggressively.  In the garden, I find that it does not need to be watered once established and will tolerate very sunny locations.  Creeping Jenny can also tolerate moderate foot traffic once established.

Why do I like it for the fairy garden?  Since it is so low growing, I find that I can set fairy houses and other ornaments on top of it without hurting the plant, and without the plant covering my fairy house.  Sometimes I will use a rock on top of the Creeping Jenny to set the fairy house or ornament on top of, still without causing damage to the majority of the plant.

I also like it mostly for pots that I have in the fairy garden since the creeping jenny is such a nice cascading plant and spills over the sides.  It is also a nice bright contrasting color all year round and allows other plants and ornaments to shine.

Roots will grow into soil and can be clipped from mother plant when established
Also, since Creeping Jenny is so easy to propagate, it is a low expense addition to pots and gardens.  Since it is perennial, it means you don't have to worry about replanting each year.

Below are a couple of fairy garden ornaments sitting on top of the Creeping Jenny. 

Let me know in the comments if you have or will be adding Creeping Jenny to your fairy garden!






No comments:

Post a Comment